Saturday 5 February 2011

2011 Year List

I had to venture further North today, up to Newcastle Airport. So I decided to visit St. Mary's Island, near Whitley Bay to see what birds were on the coast. I arrived to find approximately 60 Teal floating along just offshore and cluster of Black-headed Gulls resting on the grass bank. After parking the car I went along the coastal path heading towards the lighthouse spotting Oystercatcher, Curlew, Cormorant, Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Common Gull, Turnstone, Golden Plover, Lapwing, Dunlin, Sanderling and Purple Sandpipers. There were also some Eider ducks offshore too.

With the incoming tide the birds were frantically feeding as the waves approached. By the time I reached the lighthouse the tide had turned preventing people crossing to the island on foot. As I turned inland a single Rock Pipit was feeding in the grass and a Grey Seal was looking skyward just offshore. Through my binoculars I could see his whiskers glinting in the weak afternoon sunlight. Push off the rocks, a few Turnstone and one Sanderling were feeding on the sandy shore as people walked by.

In the Wetland Nature Reserve the island in the pool was covered with Redshank and there were a few Moorhen, Gadwall and Teal present in the pool. I was hoping for a Snipe or a Woodcock, but no luck and no Mediterranean Gull either. I spent a very pleasant two hours before heading further south.

2011 Year List = 77 (Eider, Golden Plover, Sanderling, Purple Sandpiper, Dunlin, Turnstone & Rock Pipit)

Mammals: 1 Grey Seal & 1 Rabbit

No comments:

Post a Comment