Tuesday 7 May 2013

Year List Update

A sunny Bank Holiday weekend was the real rarity, but I did manage to add a few species to my year lists.

A Saturday afternoon walk at Bowesfield Marsh was very pleasant, although there was still a strong wind stopping the summer migrants from sitting on top of the reeds, trees and bushes. Sedge Warblers were singing from the reedbed whilst Sand Martins and Swallows hawked over the ponds. No new bird species seen, but a Green-veined White butterfly flew past me and a Small White butterfly was also seen.

On Sunday, I went to Nosterfield near Masham and whilst sitting eating my sandwiches an Osprey flew over followed by a mob of crows to harrass and chase. A pair of Common Buzzard were also in the air, along with a Sparrowhawk. On Lingham Lake it was good to watch 8 Avocets feeding and the air was filled with song. I also spotted a male Blackcap moving through the Hawthorn trees surrounding the car park. On the Nosterfield Nature Reserve there were 17 Dunlin in summer plumage, 2 Yellow Wagtails and some more Avocets. I was hoping to find 4 Ruff which had been seen the previous day, but sadly they had moved on.

Several birds were seen sitting on nests, but the video below shows the Greylag Geese nursery outing. They certainly walk fast!


On bank holiday Monday, I spent the afternoon at Dorman's Pool to target Grasshopper Warbler and Reed Warbler. Along the path to the hide they were several Sedge Warbler's sitting singing and a few were displaying too. I moved to the other side of Dorman's and as I drove along the lower track a Reed Warbler flew from the reeds. A Lesser Whitethroat was also singing along the track and give great views. During my time at Dorman's Pool, 16 Peacock, 7 Large White & 4 Small Tortoiseshell butterflies were seen.

2013 Birds - 130 (Osprey, Blackcap, Reed Warbler & Lesser Whitethroat)

2013 Butterflies -6 (Green-veined White & Small Tortoiseshell)

2013 Mammals - 10 (Fox - Teesmouth Field Centre 7/5/13)

2013 Moths - 8 (Agonopterix arenella)

Garden Moths - Despite putting the trap out on Saturday night I only managed to trap 2 moths - Agonopterix arenella & Hebrew Character. The minimum overnight temperature was 8C and in previous years, at least 50 moths would been caught.

No comments:

Post a Comment